For Menstrual Cramps, Fertility, Detoxing, Fibroids, and Muscle Pain
Castor oil packs are effective for relieving all kinds of physical pain (menstrual cramps, muscular and joint pain, arthritis), detoxing organs (especially the liver), and addressing fibroids (including fibroid pain and shrinking them), among its many uses. They are also excellent for promoting fertility, as it stimulates healthy circulation in the reproductive area, which is important for clearing out toxins and old blood.
Prior to your bleed, when you are getting cramps, just apply a pack over the lower abdomen, and relax, whilst the pack does its work. It feels wonderful to take care of yourself, and allow yourself some self-care and nourishment.
Castor oil packs are also effective for all kinds of muscular and joint pain, you can just apply it where the pain is.
A study published in the Journal of Naturopathic Medicine in 1997 found that daily use of castor oil packs can increase the production of T-lymphocytes, which plays an important part in your immune system.
In addition to increasing the immune system, it appears to have a calming effect on the autonomic nervous system, increases liver activity, and improves digestion.
The packs are easy to make, all you need are several layers of flannel and cold-pressed castor oil, both of which can be purchased online or from a local health food store. When placed on the affected area, the pack acts as a poultice to draw out impurities and promote healing.
How to Make a Castor Oil Pack
- Soft, clean, thick material like organic flannel, wool, or cotton
- Castor oil
- Glass bowl
- Hot water bottle or heating pad
- Plastic bag
- Large towel
- Get dressed into older clothes.
- Take a piece of flannel and place it in the bowl. Then pour enough castor oil over it to saturate.
- Get the hot water bottle or heating pad ready.
- Place a towel on a flat surface like a couch, a bed, or the floor. For added protection you can also put down a garbage bag so that your bed or couch won’t get stained from any oil that manages to escape the plastic cover.
- Once you lie down, place the saturated flannel over the affected area of your body.
- Cover the pack with plastic.
- Place the heating pad or hot water bottle over the pack and let it sit for at least 45 to 60 minutes. During this time, you can rest or read a book.
- When the time is up, remove the pack and clean the area with water and a bit of baking soda, or natural soap.
- You can keep the pack in a plastic bag in a cool place or the refrigerator. Just add another tablespoon of castor oil for the next session.
- With use, the pack gradually absorbs toxins. Discard the pack and make a new one after 10 uses.
- Keep in mind that the castor oil stains fabric, so wear clothing you don’t mind getting messy.
For full effect, use at least 4 days consecutively per week for a month. For shrinking fibroids, daily would actually be best.