Eating Dates Eases Labour Pains
Dates are a good source of various vitamins and minerals. Its a good source of energy and fiber. Essential minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium and zinc are found in dates. It also contains vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, vitamin A and vitamin K.
A study published in the Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology which concludes that eating 6 dates daily during the last four weeks of pregnancy “significantly reduced the need for induction and augmentation of labour, and produced a more favourable, but non-significant, delivery outcome”. Some significant findings:
- Cervical dilation was significantly greater in the date-eating mamas upon arrival at the hospital
- 83% of mothers who consumed dates had their membranes intact upon admission at the hospital
- 96% of the women who ate dates went into labor on their own
- Use of Pitocin (synthetic Oxytocin) was significantly lower in women who consumed dates (28%), compared with the non-date fruit mothers (47%)
- The latent phase of the first stage of labor was almost 7 hours shorter in the date-eating mothers compared with the non-date fruit eaters (510 min vs 906 min). Not bad for eating a few dates!
How about you?
Did you eat dates during pregnancy?